Week at a Glance
Monday, October 30
Photo Retake Day
9:00 am Gr. 3A Field Trip – Evergreen Cultural Centre
12:00 pm Gr. 3B Field Trip – Evergreen Cultural Centre
Tuesday, October 31
No After School EAL Class
Parent Teacher Conference Booking System closes @ 11:55 pm
Wednesday, November 1
All Saints Day
Chapel – Mrs. Eisner
Thursday, November 2
3:30 – 8:30 pm Parent Teacher Conferences, please see booking link in write up below
Friday, November 3
NO SCHOOL IN SESSION
9:00 am – 12:00 noon Parent Teacher Conferences, please see booking link in write up below
Monday, November 6
Last day of Gym Sense
Grade 3 Indoor soccer permission slips due
Grade 5 Swimming Lessons
Tuesday, November 7
8:55 am Parent Prayer
Wednesday, November 8
Chapel – Gr. 2B
Grade 5 Swimming Lessons
Thursday, November 9
Friday, November 10
9:00 am PTL Meeting
Hot Food Day
1:00 pm Port Coquitlam Campus Remembrance Day Service
Poetry Contest Entry Forms & Submissions Due
Parent Teacher League (PTL) News
- Save the Date – Family Movie Night will be on November 17. All proceeds will go towards our grade 12 graduating class. Everyone is welcome!
- Fun Food is Thursday, November 16. Please note that Fun Food is on a Thursday. Parents from all grades are welcome to participate. This is a great way to earn volunteer hours.
- Next PTL Meeting is Friday, November 10. All are welcome and invited to attend.
- We are looking for volunteers for lunch time supervision 11:50 am – 12:50 pm each day. This extra support is needed so the kids can go over to McLean’s Park. Thank you so much for giving of your time in this area! You can sign up at the following link: LUNCH HOUR SUPERVISION SIGN UP
Parent & Teacher Conferences
Parent & Teacher Conferences will be taking place on Thursday, November 2, and Friday, November 3.
Thursday, November 2 – 3:30 pm – 6:00 pm, and 6:45 pm – 8:30 pm
Friday, November 3 – 9:00 am – 12 noon
There will be no school in session on Friday, November 3.
The Conferences for grades K – 5 are for the parents and teachers only. The Conferences for grades 6 – 12, are for the parents, students, and teachers.
Please note, all school families are required to participate in the Conferences.
The online booking system is open and will close Tuesday, October 31 at 11:55 pm.
The access link is http://hlcs.parentteacherconferences.net/
Parents, new and returning, will need to create a login account to access the booking system.
Parent Teacher Dinner
The teachers want to express their thanksgiving for the planned dinner provided by parents on Thursday evening during the parent/teacher conferences. Thank you!
Is Your Foot on the Gas?
The speed that one should be driving in our parking lot and down the alley should mean that your foot is OFF the gas. We have had recent complaints of parents driving too fast in the parking lot and alley. Please “coast” in those areas.
Terry Fox Run
Thank you to everyone who participated in the fundraising for the Terry Fox Run. We raised $3,448 for the Terry Fox Foundation!
Donation of MacBooks
Thank you to Sean Miller and Arista Networks for their generous donation of 18 MacBooks. We are grateful for the generous gift to enhance the technology at Hope.
Today, October 30, students participated in various stations where they experienced events of the Protestant Reformation of 1517. From learning hymns of the Reformation to nailing truths from God’s Word (95 theses), students spent time exploring more about our school theme for the 500th year of the Reformation- It’s All About Jesus.
Daylight Savings Time Ends
Reminder that Daylight Savings time ends on Sunday, November 5. This is the time of the year that we “Fall Back”, move our clocks back one hour on Saturday night.
Books 4 Eternity
Thank you to everyone who supported the Christian Book Fair we held at Hope 2 weeks ago. We sold over $1000 in books and received $160 in books donated to our school library.
Catalogs are coming home today with the youngest students and are due back to their classroom teacher Monday, November 6. Any questions please contact Mrs. Jennifer Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment options are:
- Cheque made payable to Books 4 Eternity
- Credit Card information can be put on the order form
- E-Transfer with school (Hope Lutheran Christian School) and student name to: email@example.com (the answer to your security question: Books)
A parent from the Port Coquitlam campus has organized a once a month prayer time for parents/family members of Hope Lutheran Christian School:
Please join us to pray monthly from 8:55 – 9:25 am for our children, our families, the Staff and Teachers at Hope and our Community of Port Coquitlam. We will share and learn from one another, be inspired by Bible readings on prayer and of course – pray together! Email Tina Goetz for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Please meet in the Narthex/Foyer of the Port Coquitlam Campus at 8:55 am on the following dates:
Tuesday, November 7
Tuesday, December 5
1) Cross Country Meet – Congratulations to our grade 4 and 5 cross country runners for their excellent performances at the meet last week. Special thanks to all the school parents who supported our Km club to allow are runners to train so well.
2) Grade 4 and 5 soccer – Congratulations to our first grade 4 & 5 co-ed soccer team for their 3 – 1 victory at Maple Ridge Christian. All the players played tremendously and showed great improvement over the few weeks of practice. Due to the beetle infestation at McLean Park we must end our soccer season. There will be no more practices or games.
3) Grade 3 Indoor Soccer – We are planning a lunch time co-ed indoor soccer intramural club. Permission slips for grade 3 students will be distributed today, Monday October 30, and are due Monday, November 6.
4) We will be conducting another Km Club in the Spring, to start the first day after spring break. Prior to the start of the Spring Club, there is a lot of preliminary work that needs to be done and volunteers will be needed in February. Additionally, we are looking for enthusiastic parents with students in the younger grades willing to job shadow the Event Coordinator, Event Overseer as well as the Concession Coordinator to be trained to take the running clubs forward in future years as some of our key volunteers have students moving on to the middle/high school campuses after this year.
If you are interested in helping out with this highly popular and successful initiative, please email Lisa Klym at email@example.com.
Remembrance Day Service
On Friday, November 10 at 1:00 pm the Port Coquitlam campus will be holding a special Remembrance Day service in the chapel. All parents are welcome to join us for this time of remembrance.
Poetry & Short Story Writing Contests
A number of students have been invited to participate in two Canadian writing contests this fall. If your child is interested and didn’t receive the information, please contact Mrs. Olding (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Poetry submissions are due to Mrs. Olding on Friday, November 10, and short story submissions are due to Mrs. Olding on Tuesday, November 28. All writing must be original and completed independently. See contest information sheets for more information.
Donations of clean 4 L milk jugs are required for this year’s Bethlehem Walk. Please rinse out the milk jug, remove the label, and remove the cap.
Milk jugs can be left on the stage in the gymnasium. We are in need of approximately 500 jugs.
Grad 2018 Bottle Drive
This year’s Grad Committee has an account set up at the Port Coquitlam Bigger Bottle Depot, on Kingsway Ave. If you would like to donate to the 2018 Grad class, you can drop your bottles and recyclables under Hope Lutheran’s Grad account. Thank you!
Pitt Meadows Campus News
- More than 120 guests came to celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation last Thursday at our Reformation Fest.
- Did you know that Grade 6 to 8 have three different modules in the year for Applied Design, Skills and Technologies (ADST). These include a combination of Visual Arts, Foods, Robotics, Tech Ed and Entrepreneurship.
We are excited to announce that the 2017/18 Yearbooks will be purchased online, directly through Jostens! Use the link below to access the ordering site, select “Yearbook” under the Products and follow the prompts.
Online link: Jostens Yearbooks
Save the Date
There will be a Grade 1-5 Parent and Child Ski/Snowboard Day at Grouse Mountain on Friday, December 22. Although this is a school sponsored event, it takes place outside of school hours; therefore all responsibility for supervision, first aid, and transportation is up to the student’s parents/guardians. Forms with more information will be sent home in the next few weeks.